Jac Class 11th
(Reading Comprehension & Note Making) Marks: 14
Read the following passage carefully and answer the questions from 01 to 04,
choosing the bestsuitable option.
Assam in the north-east of India, is called the tea garden ofthe world. Tea
grows in bushes on a tea-estate, there are thousands and thousands of tea bushes. They
are planted in long lines. Early in the morning companies of women and children, each
carrying a basket, go offto the garden to pluck the leaves. Only the youngest andmost
tenderleaves are plucked. The leaves are then weighed and taken offto the factory to be
made into tea as you know it.
1.Where is Assam situated ?
(a) In the northwest of India (b) In the north east of India
(c) In the south-east of India (d) In the south-east of India.
Answer :- (b) In the north east of India
2.Assam is called the tea-garden ofthe world because-
(a) tea is abundantly grown here (b) of the transportation problem
(c) Both a and b (d) None ofthe above
Answer :- (a) tea is abundantly grown here
3. What kind oftea leaves are plucked ?
(a) black leaves (b) dry leaves
(c) youngest and most tender leaves (d) oldest leaves
Answer :- (c) youngest and most tender leaves
4. When do women and children go off to the garden to pluck the leaves ?
(a) Late inthe evening (b) in the afternoon
(c) Early in the morning (d) Late night
Answer :- (c) Early in the morning
5.The leaves are weighed and taken off to the
(a) factory (b) office (c) Godown (d) cold storage
ANSWER :- (a) factory
6. While writing a note, which of the following is not used ?
(a) heading (b) sub-leading (c) abbreviations (d) Articles.
Answer :- (d) Articles
7. In report writing, narration of the eventis always written in –
(a) Present form (b) immediate past form
(c) Simple future form (d) None of the above
Answer :- (b) immediate past form
(Writing) Marks: 10)
8. In letter writing,replying to enquiries come under the category of-
(a) Official letters (b) lettersto the editor
(c) business letter (d) informal letters
Answer :- (c) business letter
9. In a formal letter, the correct form of salutation is-
(a) Dearsir/madam (b) Respected sir/madam
(c) Honourable sir/madam (d) Reverend sir/madam
Answer :- (a) Dearsir/madam
10. In bussiness letters the Name &Designation of the Addressesis written on the
(a) Left margin (b) right margin
(c) At the centre (d) None of the above
Answer :- (a) Left margin
11. Rashmi bought a book and ………….. ink pot.
(a) The (b) a (c) an (d) None of the above
Answer :- (c) an
12. ………….. of the boys sang a song.
(a) none (b) someone (c)bEveryone (d) Anyone
Answer :- (a) none
(Grammar) Marks: 10)
13.Choose the grammatically correct sentence.
Physical exercise/for/essential /is/ health/ good
(a) a apple an day the keeps away doctor.
(b) an day away doctor the keeps a apple.
(c) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
(d) An apple a doctor away keep the day.
Answer :- (c) An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
Fill in the blanksfrom the given options (Question 14-17)
14. The sun ……………… in the west.
(a) set (b) sets (c) rise (d) setting
Answer :- (b) sets
15. I…………… how to swim.
(a) does not know (b) do not know (c) not knowing (d) did not know
Answer :- (b) do not know
16. Kusum ……………. prefer to keep quiet.
(a) would (b) can (c)should (d) ought
Answer :- (a) would
17. If I were you, I …………….. not do it.
(a) must (b) should (c) would (d) can
Answer :- (c) would
(Literature) (Marks: 56)
Read the following extract and choose themost appropriate option from those
that are given below Question 18 to 21)
The laburnumtop issilent, quite still
In the afternoon yellow Septembersunlight,
A few leaves yellowing, all itsseedsfallen.
18. The Laburnum tree top is…………….
(a) Barren (b) quite Beautiful (c) quite silent and still (d) quite green
Answer :- (c) quite silent and still
19. What time of the day is described ?
(a) morning (b) afternoon (c) night (d) dawn
Answer :- (b) afternoon
20. How does September sunlight appear ?
(a) red (b) blue (c) yellow (d) pink
Answer :- (c) yellow
21. A few leaves ………………. .
(a) are turning yellow (b) are growing red
(c) have fallen (d) have dried
Answer :- (a) are turning yellow
22. Who were ‘Betty’ and ‘Dolly’ ?
(a) her neighbours (b) her sisters
(c) narrator’s cousins (d) cousins of poet’s mother
Answer :- (d) cousins of poet’s mother
23. Who is the ‘Poem of Earth’ ?
(a) the rain (b) the land (c) the sea (d) the wind
Answer :- (a) the rain
24. In the poem ‘Childhood’ The poet wants to know –
(a) the day he became responsible (b) the day he became an adult
(c) the day he became wise (d) the day he lost his childhood
Answer :- (d) the day he lost his childhood
25. ‘We’ in the poem ‘childhood’ stands for-
(a) the father and mother (b) the poet and his wife
(C) the father and the son (d) the parents of the poet
Answer :- (C) the father and the son
26. ‘Barred face’in the poem “The LaburnumTop’ means-
(a) Covered face (b) face having strips on it
(c) covered by the leaves (d) Covered by the branches
Answer :- (b) face having strips on it
27. Where wasthe photograph taken ?
(a) In a forest (b) On a beach (c) On amountain top (d) None of the above
Answer :- (b) On a beach
28. Who is the poet of the poem “The laburnum Top ?
(a) Walt Whitman (b) ShirleyToulson
(c)Ted Hughes (d) William Wordsworth
Answer :- (c)Ted Hughes
29.Why did the grandmother keep one hand on her waist ?
(a) To balance her stoop (b) to sit
(c) to dance (d) to sleep
Answer :- (a) To balance her stoop
30. Where did the authorspend his childhood ?
(a) In the town with his mother (b) In the town with his parents
(c) In the villagewith his father (d) In the village with his grandmother
Answer :- d) In the village with his grandmother
31.Whomthe narratorwantto duplicate in “We’re NotAfraid to Die, Ifwe can All
(a) Larry Vigil (b) Captain James Cook (c) Herb Seigler (d) None
Answer :- (b) Captain James Cook
32. In ‘DiscoveringTut: The saga continues’Howard carterwas a
(a) British Philosopher (b) BritishBotanist
(c) British Archaeologist (d) British Zoologist
Answer :- (c) British Archaeologist
33. What did Wu Daozi paint for the Emperor ?
(a) Emperor’s portrait (b) a landscape
(c) picture of the palace (d) the map of the palace
Answer :- (b) a landscape
34. Mr. Croker Harris is ……………….. .
(a) a middle aged master (b) a young school master
(c) a principal (d) a student
Answer :- (a) a middle aged master
35. Who is the author of “The adventure” ?
(a) Khushwant Singh (b) Jayant Narlikar
(c) Nick Middleton (d) ShirleyToulson
Answer :- (b) Jayant Narlikar
36. Horissituated on the shore of-
(a) Lake Dal (b) Lake Klooler
(c) Lake mansarovar (d) The Indus
Answer :- (c) Lake mansarovar
37. What gift did Lhamo give to the author ?
(a) a hat (b) a shawl (c) a blanket (d) a full sleeved coat
Answer :- (d) a full sleeved coat
38. Mouradwas very fond of-
(a) Playing cricket (b) Swimming
(c) horse-riding (d) sea surfing
Answer :- (c) horse-riding
39. Aram and Mourad belonged to …………….. tribe
(a) Harghlanian (b) Garoghlanian
(c) Goralanian (d) Ghiralinian
Answer :- (a) Harghlanian
40. Which country did the narrator belong to in the story ‘The address’ ?
(a) Holland (b) Ireland
(c) Scotland (d) England
Answer :- (a) Holland
41. What was the name of the niece of Rama Rao ?
(a) Bimla (b) Ratna (c) Kamla (d) Aparna
Answer :- (b) Ratna
42. Who called Albert Einsten ‘the world’s worstliar ?
(a) the head teacher (b) Mr. Koch (c) Elsha (d) Yuri
Answer :- (d) Yuri
43. Who was Mrs. Fitzgerald ?
(a) Pearson’s Sister (b) Pearson’s neighbour
(c) Pearson’s mother (d) Pearson’s friend.
Answer :- (b) Pearson’s neighbour
44. What had been Agha Shahid Suffering from?
(a) Cancer (b) Ashthma (c) Fever (d) T.B
Answer :- (a) Cancer
45.What was Andrew Manson’s profession ?
(a) Doctor (b) teacher (c) Lawyer (d) Politician
Answer :- (a) Doctor